Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Here we try to answer some Frequently Asked Questions. We have arranged the questions in four categories sorted alphabetically. If you still cannot find an answer to your question, please send an email to our Study Adviser at Do not hesitate, your question might also be important for other students. Contact us, and the answer to your question will soon appear right here on this site.

Can I work while I am studying?

If you are a citizen of a EU or non-EU country and you want to work while you study, it is possible, but as you are in the Czech Republic with a study visa, paid work cannot be your primary occupation during your stay. Remember, you are here for study purposes. You should not assume that you can pay for your studies with a part-time job that you find in Prague. A typical hourly rate for student jobs ranges from CZK 100 - 150 for basic administrative work.
Full-time students at a university registered with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (e.g. CTU) only need to be registered at the Public Employment Office (Úřad Práce). This registration is made by the employer. (You can ask for legal advice, free of charge, in some offices for integration in Prague, ex.:

How can I go to the doctor?

You can choose any doctor you want to. You will be asked to pay for your treatment in cash; ask the doctor for an invoice, and look after it carefully, as you will need it for your reimbursement claim the insurance company where you bought your insurance. Visit the website printed on your insurance card (always carry it with you, as there is a telephone helpline that you can use) and look up the claim form. Fill in the claim form and send it to the address given on the form, together with all the necessary documentation. The reimbursement is sent to your bank account. You can find the list of English or other language speaking doctors attached to your Insurance Agreement. 

Regarding visiting the dentist - depends on your insurance, but usually only small check-ups are covered by your insurance.

How do I validate my documents for use in the Czech Republic?

You must have your high school validated by the Prague City Hall or university degree validated by the CTU Department for Study and Student Affairs. The process of validating your previous degree is called “nostrification”, and it takes approximately 30 days. All necessary info is here.

How long can I stay in the Czech Republic after completing my study programme?

Information for university students considering changes made by amendment to the Act. No 326/1999 Coll. on the Residence of Foreign Nationals with effect from July 31st, 2019: If you hold a long-term residence permit for study purposes and you have successfully completed university education, you may apply for long-term residence for 9 months and look for a job or start your own business in Czech Republic.

For more information and application process please see the website of Ministry of Interior available in 5 languages.
If you need legal advice on labor rights in the Czech Republic free of charge you can contact integration center SIMI.

Is it expensive to live in the Czech Republic?

Check our financial guide here.

How can I learn Czech language?

Our programmes for international students are taught in English, and there is no need to speak Czech language for your classes and lec­tures. However, if you are going to stay 4–6 years in the Prague, it is convenient to learn some basic Czech.

Integration center Prague offers free Czech language courses (students pay a refundable deposit of CZK 2,000 prior to the start of the course, the rest of which is free of charge).

Students willing to study in Czech, see this section.

There are also plenty of private language schools and agencies that offer Czech language courses for foreigners. Just note that they are quite expensive. 

Can I have a student bank account?

The best-known banks in the Czech Republic with a website in English are: ČSOB, Komerční banka, Česká spořitelna, Raiffeisen Bank, GE Money Bank, FIO banka and Airbank (online registration). If you need to open a bank account at low cost and with almost no charged services, FIO banka or Airbank is probably the best, as they have no charges for usual account management services. With larger institutions, e.g. Česká spořitelna or Raiffeisen Bank, you will get a full range of international banking services, but you will have to pay for bank account management and also for transactions. When opening an account, you will surely be offered a choice between a debit card and a credit card. We do not recommend choosing a credit card, as the interest on your potential overdraft will be high. For the same reason, we also advise against opening an overdraft account – it may help you overcome a period of financial difficulties, but the interest and charges at the end of the year are a nasty shock. Here is a list of banks within walking distance from the main CTU campus in Dejvice:

• Česká spořitelna, a.s., Vítězné náměstí 9

UniCreditBank Czech Republic, a.s., Vítězné náměstí 10

• GE Money Bank, Vítězné náměstí 2

• ČSOB, Banskobystrická 11

• Komerční banka, Jugoslávských partyzánů 12

Air Bank, Evropská 17

• FIO Banka, Dejvická 33

What religion is practiced in the Czech Republic?

The Czech Republic is considered to be religiously tolerant. Among the population of 10 million, there is a majority of agnostics – 5.99 million (58.28% of the population). The biggest religion is Roman Catholicism, with 2.71 million (31.65%) and 0.55 million protestants (5.32%). For mosques in Prague, see the Islamic Foundation

Safe box

To keep your passport and other valuables safe, look for a safe box at a bank. This service is not available at every bank. The best you can do is go to the nearest bank to your accommodation or to the CTU campus and ask there. The fee for keeping a safe box is about CZK 100 per month.

Student discounts

Discounts for students with an ISIC card are widespread. You can get a student discount at many sports or cultural events if you show your ISIC card. See the list of discount: .

Traveling within Prague

Public transport is inexpensive, comfortable and quick. Prague public transport infrastructure consists of three metro lines, trams, buses, suburban trains, the funicular to Petřín Hill and five ferries crossing the Vltava River. There is an integrated ticket system for all services. A “Lítačka” travel pass is a lot cheaper than buying individual tickets if you travel even once a day by public transport. You can buy a transport pass for one month, three months or the whole year. To get a student discount for the pass, you will need a student ID. See the prices and types of transportation passes:

Traveling in Europe

The Czech Republic is a land-locked country in Central Europe and is a great starting point for visiting other European destinations. From its capital, Prague, you can get to Berlin, Germany, in 4 hours by train. It takes less than two hours to fly to London, UK, one hour to Paris, France, and about four hours to reach Vienna, Austria, by bus or by car. Use travel agencies like Regiojet, Flixbus or České dráhy to buy tickets with students discount.

What is the weather like in the Czech Republic?

Many students coming from a warmer climate underestimate the local weather conditions. An overcoat is necessary not just in winter but also in early spring and late autumn. In summer, temperatures may fluctuate and you should therefore carry a light jacket just in case. For winter, a wool cap, gloves, scarf, a down jacket and waterproof non-slip shoes are essential. The sun sets early in winter, and the clocks are changed twice a year. The good news is that, even in the winter months, there are on an average 15 sunny days! Many Czechs look forward to winter, and if you are appropriately dressed you too will find Prague under snow very attractive.

What is the food like in the Czech Republic?

A traditional Czech main meal consists of soup and a main dish – mostly meat with potatoes or with a cream sauce and dumplings. It is also easy to find all kinds of international cuisine in Prague. Vegetarian and vegan restaurants are not rare anymore. There are more than 10 university canteens that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner for very reasonable prices (approx. CZK 70 for lunch, with a student discount). The food is usually traditional Czech, but there is always a vegetarian option on the daily menu. Czech food is tasty, but you may not find it spicy enough!.

Can I pay my admission fee by credit card?

As the CTU faculties are autonomous, the way in which the admission fee is paid can differ from faculty to faculty. Payment by credit card is accepted by the Faculty of Informatics only. Check the banking details on this page

Do I have to travel to Prague for entrance exams?

Only applicants for Civil Engineering, Nuclear Sciences and for doctoral studies are required to travel to Prague for an entrance exam.

Entrance qualifications for CTU in Prague

If you send your certificates, we will tell you whether you are qualified to enter the study programme that you have chosen. For master and doctoral degree programmes, the procedures are straightforward – your previous qualifications are validated by our department (see Validation of Previous studies For bachelor programmes, it is necessary to demonstrate that your secondary-school education is more or less equivalent to a Czech secondary school education, and that your level of mathematics is adequate for the study programme that you want to take (see Validation of Secondary Education

I cannot arrive to Prague on time. What can I do?

If you cannot arrive to Prague at the beginning of the academic year, for example for long visa process, there is a possibility to start later. Just contact your faculty coordinator and ask whether it would be possible.

Online application form

  • Apply now
  • Special application forms are required for Ph.D. study programmes.

What English level do I need in order to study at CTU in Prague?

Many of you come from schools where your education was conducted in English. If you have already studied successfully in English, you will not be required to provide a certificate of your English skills. If you have not studied in English before, you must provide an English certificate. The minimum level is 87 for TOEFL (IBT); 5.5 for IELTS; or B2 on the Council of Europe scale. You should aim to reach a level considerably higher level than this, as good English skills will help you in your studies. You may be asked to participate in a Skype interview to check your English speaking and listening skills.

What happens if I want to apply for a study programme at CTU, but I will not receive a pre-requisite qualification until after the deadline for applying? For example, if I want to apply for a bachelor study programme, but will not receive my secondary school final examination results until July.

This is a common situation for many students and CTU is aware of it. Just mention this fact when you send your documents and send the latest transcript of records or ask your high school or university to prepare a letter that will state the approximate date of your graduation. If you are accepted by CTU in Prague, take the originals of your examination results to the faculty coordinator – she or he will make copies and file them with all your documents.

Which documents are usually required for admission?

A completed application form, an English skills certificate, a school leaving certificate (for a bachelor programme) or a bachelor degree certificate (for a master’s programme) or a master’s degree certificate (for a Ph.D. programme). For a programme in architecture, you will be asked to submit a printed (A4) portfolio of your project work.

When should I apply?

Admission for programmes opens in December and following January. Deadlines vary, according to the programme/faculty of your choice but in most cases is either at the end of March or April. For the actual deadline, check under study programmes. Apply in good time, as you will need time to get your visa. For doctoral studies, there are 2 or 3 calls for applicants. Also, check the actual deadline on the study programmes page.

When will I know if I have been accepted?

You will be notified no longer than 14 days after your documents will be reviewed by the committee or after the entrance examination.

Do I need an English language certificate if my whole previous education was in English?

In most cases no, if your previous education was taught in English and your school leaving certificate indicates this, you will not have to provide an English language certificate. However, ask your faculty coordinator especially if you are applying for Master of Automotive Engineering study program.

Do I have to send my documents by post?

Yes. You must send your documents by postor you can bring them directly to the Faculty if you happen to be in Prague within the application dates. You can find the postal address of the faculty that you are applying to here

How do I validate my documents for use in the Czech Republic?

You must have your university degree validated by the CTU Department for Study and Student Affairs. The process of validating your previous degree is called “nostrification”, and it takes approximately 30 days. All necessary info is here.

Registering with the police

When you arrive in the Czech Republic, you must register with the Foreign Police within three working days, presenting your passport and evidence of travel medical insurance. This is done by the accommodator (dormitory, hotel, or hostel). It can also be done by the landlord of the flat who should fill the Tenant Book („Domovní kniha“ in Czech). Please ask your landlord if he is going to register you to the Foreign Police. If the landlord of your flat does not have a Tenant book, you are obliged to register individually at the Foreign Police branch within 3 working days from your arrival to Czech Republic.

Are there any students from my country here at CTU?

CTU in Prague has students from over 117 different countries. The numbers include exchange students, Erasmus+ students, and degree-seeking students. We list below only countries with more than 20 students at CTU, and we have excluded students from Slovakia, of whom there are more than 1000. Top 10 countries with most international students: India, China, Russia, Turkey, France, Azerbaijan, Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Egypt. Besides that, there are students from all over the world, for example: Finland, Switzerland, Venezuela, Japan, Namibia, Saudi Arabia and so on.

Does the university offer accommodation?

Yes. More information available here.

Finding a study program

Finding a study programme is very important. Some students know exactly what they want to study. Others are not sure what they want to choose. We offer our leaflets that try to help you make your choice. You can also write to or speak with our study advisor.

How much is the tuition fee at CTU in Prague?

To check the current fee level, see this page or contact the faculty that offers your study programme. The faculties function as autonomous bodies within the university and have the right to set and adjust the fees. The tuition fees at the Czech Technical University in Prague depend on: the level of your studies (Bachelor, Master’s or Ph.D. Degree) the faculty of your choice and the study programme that you choose.

Where can I find information about scholarships?

You can find all possible scholarships and grants regarding your citizenship and field of study at the scholarship portal.
Students of CTU can apply for a scholarship after completing the first semester of their study programme. The scholarship is awarded occasionally and on the basis of very good study records from previous semesters. Successful applicants receive a monthly grant, and the amount may vary up to CZK 10 000 per month. Applicants apply to the Vice-Dean for International Relations of the faculty at which they are studying. The decision is made by the faculty. Besides the “Award” scholarship, you can also apply for accommodation scholarship.

If you haven't found the right answer don't hesitate to contact our study advisor Jakub.

E-mail Facebook Twitter
LinkedIn VK YouTube Google+ Instagram